Prepares, completes, and distributes accurate documentation of all terminal cargo transactions. Checks incoming shipments for correctness; keeps records of damaged or defective items as well as time, date, quantity and source of materials received. As well as providing superior customer service.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensures all quality and HSE precautions and procedures of MTS are always adhered to.
- Examines receiving check sheets and other cargo documents to ensure that they are complete and accurate in regard to tariffs, coding, rates, shipping information, and account status.
- Verifies correctness of incoming shipments against Bills of Lading, Pro Bills, Shipping Receipts, Invoices, or other documents presented by the shipper or carrier.
- Inspects for damages and records on shipper’s documents any and all discrepancies in the shipment including damages, overages, shortages, or improper descriptions; has all notations or changes initialed by the shipper or the shipper’s agent.
- Signs for cargo on behalf of the Company and completes necessary forms such as Container, Shipping, and OS&D Forms.
- Ensures proper and adequate identification is appearing on cargo and adds identification when required.
- Contacts the Terminal Manager to inspect cargo which is felt not to be the Company’s acceptance standard, or which may be injurious to other cargo or may not be compatible with other cargo; on the Manager’s authority, may refuse any such cargo with an explanation to the shipper and a written report to the Terminal Manager.
- Enters relevant data into the invoicing, traffic and container computer programs.
- Produces and distributes timely printouts of documents and reports from computer as required.
- Records and documents all cargo loaded on northbound barges accurately using load lists generated in NAV.
- Receives incoming (southbound) barges using the Barge check sheets.
- Performs various clerical functions such as typing, filing, photocopying, fax, mail preparation and sorting, ordering of office supplies, and the ledge updating.
- Prepares bank deposits of cash and cheques.
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned such as, but not limited to, assisting in setting up ramps and hoses, lashing and shoring cargo or bulwarks, attaching slings, unloading and signaling other workers to move, raise, or lower cargo.
- Ensures that all quality | health & safety (OH&S/ISM) / environmental precautions and procedures of MTS are always adhered to.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Completion of Grade 12 and preferably some secretarial/clerical training
- At least three years clerical experience
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Previous experience in inspection and documentation of cargo or warehousing documentation
- Training in Transportation of Dangerous Goods and WHMIS
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of general office procedures and practices
- Ability to converse in oral and written English
- Thorough knowledge of Terminal operations, office policies and procedures (including shipper cargo documentation forms)
- Ability to perform clerical work involving independent analysis and perform mathematical calculations
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
This job is designated local Hay River hire.
ORSI is licensed by Transport Canada as a Seafarer Recruitment and Placement Service (SRPS). We are committed to equity in employment and encourage all qualified individuals to apply. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION IS May 7
Please forward to:
Human Resources Coordinator
Offshore Recruiting Service Inc.
Hay River, NT